Indian Railways is a very important asset in our lives. We cannot deny but agree that Indian Railways has improved in the past two years under present Government. Not citing the difference in the governance here but the Achievement of Railways in two years.
With the advancement in technology, everyone wishes to do any task in the simplest of the ways. Keeping this in mind, The Indian Railways came up with the social media usage for solving problems faced by passengers.
- Indian Railways launched three social media platforms on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube with the handle @railminindia. Ministry of Railways employed first of its kind, a real time 24×7 public grievance system through Twitter and provided medical, security and other emergency assistance to traveling passengers. There were hundreds of instances when emergencies were met with a single tweet.
Suresh Prabhu from Ministry of Railways stated:
“18 months ago, when I took over the reigns of this great organization called Indian Railways, I was faced with many challenges. I had the option of making small incremental changes or go beyond business as usual. I chose the latter.”
Some of the important achievements of Indian Railways are:
- Commissioned record 2828 km of broad gauge lines which is 85% higher than 2009-14 average annual commissioning. 7.7 km lines commissioned per day against 2009-14 average of 4.3 km
- Capital expenditure in 2015-16 was about Rs. 94,000 Cr which is almost double
- The average annual capital expenditure over the previous five-year period of 2009-14
- Electrification of 1730 km done in the last year is a huge jump over 2009-14 annual average of 1184 km
- A responsive 24×7 complaint resolution mechanism employed through the use of social media
- Cleanliness: Swachh Rail, Swachh Bharat campaign, Clean my Coach Service launched, third party cleanliness audits conducted for stations. Under this scheme, any passenger can complaint online when his coach is unclean and it will be cleaned within a hour.
- E-catering, E-wheelchair, E-bedroll facilities launched to ensure seamless availability and access to these facilities.
- Ticketing: IRCTC capacity increased, Automatic ticket vending machines installed, cancellation of PRS tickets through cell phone launched. Tatkal ticket booking has become a lot easier. Vikalp scheme launched
- Speed: India’s first semi high-speed train Gatimaan Express launched, a trial run of Talgo coaches underway.
- N-E Connectivity: Barak Valley of Assam, Agartala, Mizoram and Manipur connected to broad gauge. It was tremendous improvement for NE states.
- High-speed Wi-Fi launched at various stations with a target of 400 stations by 2018
- Environment: A provision of 1% of total project cost made in all future projects to spend on environment protection measures, major thrust on solar and wind energy provided, traditional lights replaced by environment-friendly LED lights
- 100% E-tendering implemented resulting in transparent and accountable procurement process
Go on to read the list of all achievements and amendments made by the Indian Railways here.
Source : Click Here